Thursday, May 23, 2013

As Markets Evolve: A Perspective From Streaming Media East


Ever since I first entered the streaming media market many years ago, Streaming Media's website, publications, and trade shows have been those reliable destinations for me to sharpen my view of the market, meet like-minded people, and help contribute to strategic direction of our Tempo platform.

This week, Globecomm exhibited at Streaming Media East in NYC. As always, the show provided me an opportunity to catch up with colleagues and meet new people who share a passion for streaming media. However, there was something unsettling about this year's show that I could not quite put my finger on.

Then I realized it was that many of those familiar faces, who helped define streaming media in the enterprise, were not in attendance. I sent notes to a few to ask why they skipped the show. The reply was almost unanimous: they were too busy tending to their networks and customers.

Today, many of those pioneers who created this industry are realizing their vision of a connected enterprise, with video content elevating discourse across their organizations. The scale and complexity of their networks continues to expand, as does the importance of their mission. As they look down the road, they see the applications for their services expanding to include digital signage, learning, and an explosion of mobile applications.

All of this results in exciting and busy times for media managers. For me, I find it bittersweet that a consequence of their wild success is that we do not get to catch up at events like this. I guess that is what happens as markets evolve.

Ed Behan, Vice President Enterprise Services, Globecomm

No comments:

Post a Comment